Friday, March 7, 2014

Saturday, March 7, 1868 - "...good prospects of a thaw...."

This is the warmest day we have had in over two months. I was doing chores to day. Jim was down to Brushland to day. It is raining some to day. Thare is good prospects of a thaw I  think now. One year ago to day my throat was sore and Mary Lewis was here.
It is very still times at present. M. Tuttle was down to Brushland to day. Thare is a large quantity of snow on the ground at the present time.
Walter J. Coulter.
Brushland
1868


1 comment:

  1. I would rate these pages as "delightful," and appreciate you sharing history, but also a part of a persons life with us. Growing up, I hated history. OK, young and foolish, but youth is impatient and I was no better. When your young you want things to speed up and when older you start to appreciate what you have been given and want time to go slower, but in truth life runs away on you?

    Although not on this page, I liked these words of wisdom as they are as applicable today as they were then:

    Hints to Farmers.
    Keep good fences, especially line fences;
    Don’t starve your land, if you do you will grow lean.
    Don’t leave to memory what should be written it makes lawsuits.
    Buy a farm wagon before a fine carriage.
    Don’t buy patent rights to sell again.
    Bovina.

    Thankfully perspectives change over a period of time and I thank you for sharing as you.

    ReplyDelete