Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Wednesday, January 1, 1868 - "A happy New Year's day"

A happy New Year’s day. This has been a Stormy day. It has rained and snowed. Thare was a shooting ma[t]ch at the But[t]end to day. One year ago to day I was drawing wood.
New Years has passed off very quietly around here. W.W. Forrest* was in Delhi to day.
[I am in the town of Hamden to day. I am at H.P. Wilburs** to day. I am with my dear Nettie*** 
to day & also to night.]
One year ago tonight thare was a Ball at the Hook. 
[I am in the company of my dearest earthly treasure.]


*This probably is William W. Forrest (b. 1845), son of Thomas and Helen Forrest.
**H.P Wilbur is Walter's future father-in-law, Hatzel P. Wilbur.
***Nettie is Jeanette Wilbur, his soon to be wife.  In 1868, references to Nettie are almost always in code.

No comments:

Post a Comment